Not sure how exactly this came about, but having always wanted a Batman costume, and stumbling across an online tutorial, I decided to make one out of Bud Light beer boxes. Call them cases, cartons, two-fours, whatever you like based on where you live. Here is a breakdown of how I made it & general tips along the way.
1) Do everything in paper first, & tape it together. This is great for getting the size right.
2) Printing as PDFs lets you resize to fit in percentages. Poster it across multiple pages, and tape together.
3) Cut out your templates carefully. Consider using a sharp utility knife with a metal ruler.
4) Place the template on card. Only mark each corner.
5) Connect the dots with above mentioned ruler.
6) Use your utility knife to cut the card exactly.
7) Pre-fold/bend your pieces before gluing.
8) Cut slight angles on your edges so the glue gets pushed to the back & the join is seamless (as it can be).
9) Glue slowly. Hot glue gun is usually good enough. One edge at a time. Pre-bending the cardboard as much as possible will help.
10) Have your paper prototype handy as a reference.
11) Consider starting with something simpler than a mask. Even make a little box or something.
If you own one of the templates I have referenced below, I’m happy to remove/relink/credit as per your wishes.
Completed so far
This is what started it all. I pretty much followed this exactly.
This template is great. Easy to make edges. Depending on your body proportions, you may need to increase the size, or in my case, add additional pieces on top, and to the sides to close it out.
I totally freehanded this. Lots of examples online. Work with paper and tape
Shoulder & Biceps
I took these from a Dark Knight template. Download the Pepakura Viewer app, & get the file below. You can then cherry pick which pieces in the model, locate them on the paper, then rearrange & print only what you need. Print to PDF, then size using Adobes features. I do not recall where I got this template from.
These were another great Instructable find. Here is the full link with all the PDFs for most of a complete costume.
They seem to be cross-ish posted here too:
And here are the two I used for the gauntlet, hosted locally here.
Items I’ve yet to start working on
- Neck – Looking at an Iron Man template for this.
- Upper chest – Thinking I will freehand based around where everything else sits/fits.
- Utility Belt
- Lower Legs
- Cape – Will likely buy a Bud Light flag from Amazon.